Friday, March 14, 2014

The Stat Guy - Statistical Edge After First Victory in Best of 3 Series

After the conclusion of last nights Nanooks victory, I was asked by a fellow fan, statistically how important is winning game 1 of a 3 game series? The answer is that it is critical. If the two teams are equally matched, the odds of course of a victory is a simple coin flip, or 50 percent. However after the victory in game one, the odds of prevailing rise dramatically to 75%. The odds of the loser of game one taking the series correspondingly drops to 25%.

The good news for Anchorage, if there is any, is that if they can prevail in game 2 the odds revert back to a coin toss.

This simple calculation of course does not factor in winning percentage, momentum, home ice or officiating. That's why--I am often reminded--they play the games.

Go Nooks, Math Rocks!

--The Stat Guy


Squarebanks said...

They should have ended this tonight but the bounces didn't go their way. I don't feel good about tomorrow.

rename setiadi said...

We are the World's Largest Online Football Agent and Trusted. The transaction process is safe, fast and comfortable is our commitment to make our loyal customers even more pleased to recommend our services to their fellow colleagues. Agen Bola Terpercaya | Judi Online