Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Nanooks Reputation - A Showing of Character



I know I'm a little late getting to this, but I haven't been able to hold my head very high, and had to force myself to write that previous game recap.

"Renowned" Fairbanks News-Miner blogger Dermot Cole, the virtually-identical brother of well known UA history professor Terrence Cole, had a letter passed to him from Chancellor Rogers writte by a gracious Michigan fan who had nothing but great things to say about the players' conduct when they visited Ann Arbor a couple weeks back.

To whom it may concern: 
I just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with the conduct of your hockey players.
 I took my wife and two sons, ages 8 and 4, to Ann Arbor this weekend to watch our favorite college, Michigan play hockey and basketball. 
As we pulled into our hotel to check in I noticed some young men wearing suits with Alaska hats.  I asked a young man if he played for Alaska.  He did and he took time out to go with me to my car and exchange some friendly banter with my son who was wearing a Michigan hockey jersey.
Saturday we had breakfast in the hotel and there were a few tables with your players surrounding us
Michigan had won 6-0 on Friday evening but your kids were nothing but positive towards my kids and answered several questions they had for them.
I just want you to know that I hope one day my kids will be as nice to strangers as your hockey players were to my family.
Although Michigan will always be our school, the Alaska Nanooks have gained 4 new fans.  You should be proud of your hockey team and the way they conduct themselves on and off the ice.


Just after the first home game of the season, a shoot out loss against Miami, Dallas announced that the team has posted its highest (read, probably its highest ever) cumulative GPA in recent history of a 3.57.

Just goes to show how much character the players on the team have and how much emphasis Dallas puts on the education aspect of the team. The Alaska Nanooks athletics in general put a very high strain on athletes when it comes to their schooling, with 127 athletes last semester, just 3 were declared academically ineligible. Sure, certain skaters excel more than others, but overall, the Nanook hockey team earn high marks on and off the ice.


No comments: