Thursday, October 29, 2009

Alaska vs. Ferris State: A history of success

Ferris State is one of those teams that we have historically fared well against. Overall, the matchup is at 25-23-3, but it's tipped in the Nanooks favor the last few years, going 13-1-2 and shutting them out once since 2003. Our last loss to Ferris State was January 2nd, 2004. All time, at home, the Nanooks are 18-6-1 against FSU, and haven't lost at home against the Bulldogs since 2002.

On a normal basis, these stats may say something, but with this season starting out as it has, it may not. Ferris is off to a raging 5-1-0 start so far, sweeping both UConn, and the familiar Robert Morris Colonials in the last 4 weeks, but had a split with Canisius from Atlantic Hockey to open the season. Not sure if this is their best start ever, but it's got to be pretty close.

The Nanooks open up the CCHA season on home ice this weekend. Last year, UA went 8-4-2 at home, and should hopefully improve the scoring this year, and improve that record.

Greenham is still atop the stats list, just behind Faulkner from UNO, who has played about 50 less minutes and faced about 15 fewer shots, and should look to keep a steady defense. The question mark always comes with scoring, but I think that issue has been put to rest, scoring 2 goals on then number 3 ranked Michigan (and notably blanking them). The one fault I see was some issues I saw in the last game against RPI. The Nanooks had some issues with their feet, but they still kept pretty solid out there defensively. With a week to think about it, and all of the line experiments Coach Ferguson did thus far, I'm intrigued to hear of the resulting line combinations for the season. Unfortunately, I won't get to hear of them until I come back next week.

I won't be doing the Twitter updates like I had been this weekend unfortunately because of my trip. But I'll still try to get a recap of some sorts out there next week after I get back.

No comments: