Friday, May 14, 2010

Dion Knelsen Heads to Norway

Dion Knelsen, now informally known as King Leonidas, will join the Sparta Warriors (or, officially known as Ishockeyklubben Sparta Sarpsborg) in the Norwegian Elite League, GET-ligaen. If you can read Norsk, be my guest and check the official press release. I haven't seen one from the UA athletic department yet, but I would estimate that to come soon.

If anyone remembers the Olympics from Vancouver, besides the NHL names playing, the only other name I remember was from Norway's team - Tore Vikingstad. Sadly, he plays in the German league now...

UPDATE 5:42: There it is. AlaskaNanooks.com got their press release out on the subject about 10 minutes ago. Couple of good quotes in there too!
"I am thrilled to be playing with Sparta for the upcoming season,” said Knelsen. “I know they are an excellent organization, playing out of a passionate hockey-town in a competitive league. They are giving me a great opportunity early in my pro career, and I will do everything I can to help them win a championship.  I am looking forward to learning the European game and having a very successful season with the Warriors."
Good for Dion. He's a great player with a phenomenal attitude. I don't think he speaks Norsk yet, but he will before long...

No comments: