Working with the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Alaska Girls’ and Women’s Hockey Inc., and the American Collegiate Hockey Association (ACHA), the University of Alaska Women’s Ice Hockey Club has succeeded in bringing collegiate women’s hockey to Alaska!
UAF’s role in the women’s hockey team:
- Forrest Karr and his staff in Athletics and Campus Recreation support
the effort to have a women’s hockey team at UAF.
- Developing a Nanooks Women’s Hockey team at UAF is an effort to provide
talented female hockey players the opportunity to play collegiate hockey
- UAF’s support for this team will come primarily from administrative
support provided by the UAF Leadership Program and Department of Athletics
and Campus Recreation.
Club and team details:
- During the season the team will practice three times a week.
- The Alaska Nanooks Women’s Hockey will be the first women’s collegiate
team in the state to compete in the ACHA.
- For its inaugural season the team will compete at the Division 2 level
as an independent. Some of the teams in the ACHA’s D2 division include
the following universities: University of Minnesota-Duluth, Iowa State
University, University of Maryland, University of Nebraska, North Dakota
State University, University of Southern California and the University of
- ACHA guidelines require all Division 2 student-athletes to be enrolled
in six credit hours.
- The team will travel out of Alaska twice during the 2009 - 2010 season.
The schedule calls for the team to play ACHA Division 1 and 2 teams. In
January the team is scheduled to play Robert Morris University and
Lindinwood University. These two teams have met in the ACHA’s Division 1
championship game the past four years.
- The team’s expenses are borne primarily by players and community.
- For this season the season will begin in early September and will end in
mid-January. The following seasons will run from September to March.
- Most of the players will have played at the high school level or for
competitive (travel) teams like the Icebreakers or TeamAlaska. Others
will have played for prep schools out of state or some collegiate hockey.
- For the past four years Alaska Girls’ and Women’s Hockey Inc. has
managed, and provided funding for, the Arctic Bears girls high school
- The teams’ name will be: “Alaska Nanooks Women’s Hockey”.
- The team’s jersey design and colors will be the same as the Nanooks
- Head coach for the 2009 – 2010 season is Scott Vockeroth. Coach
Vockeroth is a former player for the Alaska Nanooks men’s team and brings
extensive coaching experience to the team; having coached numerous Alaska
Icebreakers teams and the Arctic Bears high school team.
- Amy Tallerico will be the team’s associate head coach and will serve as
the ACHA’s team contact. Coach Tallerico is a former goalie for the
University of Maine and Boston College Women’s Ice Hockey teams. She was
an assistant coach for the 2002-2003 Woburn Girl’s High School Hockey Team
that captured the 2003 Massachusetts State Title, and has instructed at
various camps and training facilities.
The role of Alaska Girls’ and Women’s Hockey Inc.:
- Amy Tallerico has accepted the position of director of women’s
collegiate hockey for the Alaska Girls’ and Women’s Hockey Inc.
- AGWH, Inc. will bring all of its hockey resources to assist in the
effort to develop a quality women’s hockey program at UAF.
- The University of Alaska Women’s Ice Hockey Club has entered into an
agreement with Alaska Girls’ and Women’s Hockey Inc. to provide financial
support and fundraising resources. This arrangement will allow the team
to be fully funded by player club dues, Alaska Girls’ and Women’s Hockey,
Inc, and the community.
- The team’s first tryout session is scheduled for Tuesday September 8th
at 9:15pm at UAF’s Patty Ice Arena. Players will need to show proof of
USA Hockey registration for the 2009-2010 season.
- Additional team tryout and registration information is available on the
Nanooks women’s ice hockey website: www.uafwomenshockey.com
For more information contact:
- Scott Vockeroth: 388-6015
- Amy Tallerico: 388-2695
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Alaska Nanooks Women's Hockey
Received an interesting e-mail this morning with this press release: